Man, it's been crazy lately. I literally spent 55 hours in 5 days (including one marathon 17 hour day) painting three parts of our house to get it ready to go on the market. Less than an hour after finishing the last coat in the master bathroom yesterday I got in my car, raced 3 boxes to UPS to send to AWP for the bookfair, then drove 4+ hours to Portland, woke up, went to a job interview, got in my car and drove the 4+ hours back. And here we are.
Here's some things about painting. First of all, Jackson Pollack wasn't trying to make an artistic statement, he just got sick of painting. I know this because toward the end of the marathon day I was ready to fling paint on the walls. I spent a summer working for a painting company, it sucked. But at least for the most part we were painting new houses which meant not painting around cabinets, baseboards, toilets, showers, etc. Secondly we often got to use a sprayer, which even though I ended the days with paint for snot (literally), was way better than applying the paint by hand. Thirdly, whoever came up with textured walls and ceilings should know there's a special ring in hell where you'll be trying to get an even coat of paint on said textured wall and ceiling for all eternity.
Here's some things about the interview. It went great. I've never had a job interview before (I think I've mentioned that I sort of stumbled into all my previous jobs) and I wasn't nervous going in (oddly) and leaving I felt confident in my chances. Plus it's a job that I am actually excited about which is cool.
Here's something about my drive to and from Portland. I made a killer mix that I listened to at least four times. I will put it here for you to replicate so you can feel as awesome as me:
1. "Two Weeks" by Grizzly Bear
2. "To Binge" by Gorillaz
3. "Mongrel Heart" by Broken Bells
4. "The Mall & Misery" by Broken Bells
5. "No One Does It Like You" by Department of Eagles
6. "Souljacker, Part 1" by Eels
7. "Bottled Up In Cork" by Ted Leo & the Pharmacists
8. "Scumbag Blues" by Them Crooked Vultures
9. "Wolf Like Me" by TV On The Radio
10. "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" by Arcade Fire
11. "Bonfire Blondes" by Beck
12. "So He Won't Break" by The Black Keys
13. "The Name Tossers" by BOAT
14. "Dandelion" by Charlotte Gainsbourg
15. "Perfect Fit" by Clues
16. "Bone House" by The Dead Weather
17. "Ask Her For Adderall" by The Hold Steady
18. "Buriedfed" by Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson
19. "Give Blood" by Rain Machine
20. "(Are There) Ways To Come Home?" by Sebastien Grainger
Normally I wouldn't have two songs by the same artist on a mix, or at least not right next to each other, but those Broken Bells (read my review of the album HERE) songs work so well in tandem, not to mention they are severely awesome. Having Grizzly Bear and Department of Eagles is sort of cheating on that rule, too, as is TVOTR and Rain Machine since they share key members and have similar sounds. But seriously, this is one of the best mixes I've ever made, and I make a lot of mixes.
Ok. Thanks. See you soon.